My father had a gift for telling stories. I would listen for hours, mesmerized as he spun tales. My own stories seem to spring from a compulsion, or maybe just from my genes. I write for myself but, like my father, I would never turn away an audience. These stories are true, reflections of events in my life.

About Me

My photo
Husband, father, recovering person, Navy veteran, polio survivor. I have learned to stop fearing life, to enjoy it like a good novel that can tease with promise and delight with suprise.

September 15, 2006

Roy, What Happened?


Glad you asked.

My life has taken a new direction and I have changed careers. In January of this year I left a job in IT management and joined the staff of a small spiritual-based drug and alcohol recovery halfway house. I now spend my days helping individuals to recover from addiction and integrate into the community. I have traded money for satisfaction.

Why? Mid-life crisis I suppose. I had gotten to the point where each day seemed like just a repeat of the one before. I asked myself, "What do you really want to do?" The answer was "to be of service." I wanted to feel like I was making a difference.

I could not have made this move five years ago. I was a much different person then. My motivations and my needs have changed.

I will write in my blog again. It may take a little while to carve out free time just for me but I will be back at the keyboard.

Until then....

No comments: