My father had a gift for telling stories. I would listen for hours, mesmerized as he spun tales. My own stories seem to spring from a compulsion, or maybe just from my genes. I write for myself but, like my father, I would never turn away an audience. These stories are true, reflections of events in my life.

About Me

My photo
Husband, father, recovering person, Navy veteran, polio survivor. I have learned to stop fearing life, to enjoy it like a good novel that can tease with promise and delight with suprise.

September 30, 2004

Closure

Last night I attended the funeral service for my friend R. His service filled the church. I was hoping that the evening would bring closure for me. It did.

Our pastor knew R well. He shared stories about R to which we all could relate.

At one point R spoke for himself. We were shown a videotape in which he spoke about his own life before and since asking Jesus to guide him. It was a joy to see him one more time, sharing intimately in that same intense and honest way he did so often in meetings.

R’s father and brother both spoke briefly. Their voices and gestures left no doubt that they were family. It was my privilege to speak with them both afterward. R’s father thanked me for the love I had shown his son. I thanked him for helping make it possible for me to know R.

And so…

Goodbye my friend, I will remember you for many years to come.

I will remember your enthusiasm and joy for life on the good days and the pain in your eyes on the bad ones. I will remember the squeeze of your bear hugs given freely and the scent of cologne that accompanied you everywhere. I will remember the volume and cadence and sincerity of your words as you shared with me from your heart. I will remember the light in your eyes when you would proclaim; "Our God is an AWESOME God!"

I will miss the feelings I felt when your were with me, accepted and understood and loved. I am grateful that our paths intersected and that you paused in your journey long enough for us to get to know each other just a little.

I will miss you, my friend.

Goodbye.

No comments: