My father had a gift for telling stories. I would listen for hours, mesmerized as he spun tales. My own stories seem to spring from a compulsion, or maybe just from my genes. I write for myself but, like my father, I would never turn away an audience. These stories are true, reflections of events in my life.

About Me

My photo
Husband, father, recovering person, Navy veteran, polio survivor. I have learned to stop fearing life, to enjoy it like a good novel that can tease with promise and delight with suprise.

September 3, 2004

My Guns

I like guns. I love that they kick when fired and are so loud that I have to wear ear protectors.

My favorite is a Mossberg 500 pistol-gripped 20-guage shotgun. I call it my home defender. To fire I hold it at waist level, lock my right elbow tightly against my waist and BLAM! No need to aim, just point it in the general direction of the target. Firing 20-guage cartridges gives it authority without excessive kick. In home defense mode I load the first two cartridges in birdshot and the rest in buckshot. I plan to add a clamp-on, under-barrel flashlight and a sling for stability and carrying.

Next favorite is a Glock model 23; a medium-sized semiautomatic pistol chambered for S&W 40 caliber rounds. It is a sweet shooter and fits perfectly in my hand. Shooters either love or hate Glocks. I love mine. It has tritium night sights and I carry it in a Galco "Jack Ass Rig" shoulder holster. My alternate carry is a Fobus paddle holster.

Some of my other favorites are, in no particular order:

* Smith & Wesson model 686 357-magnum stainless steel revolver with 8 3/8-inch barrel and Hogue rubber grip. The first hand gun I ever bought.

* Smith & Wesson model 629 44-magnum stainless steel revolver with 6 ½ inch barrel. This gun belonged to my friend Matthew. His widow gave it to me. Mathew wanted me to have it. His only stipulation was that I could never sell it without first offering it to one of his descendents. I will never sell it.

* Ruger Mark II 22-caliber stainless steel target pistol. Very accurate.

* Ruger 22-calibur semiautomatic rifle with scope. The ultimate plinker.

If I ever find $350 under my side of the mattress I will buy an AK-47. I watched a documentary about Kalashnikov and was so impressed by his accomplishment that I promised to make his rifle my next purchase.

I’m glad Pennsylvania offers a license for concealed-carry of weapons. The license makes it convenient to carry firearms to and from the range without worry that a police officer might find an issue with the quantity and type of weapons in the car. About once a month I carry a concealed handgun on the weekends. I do it just because I can and also to protect my right to do so. I believe we are all safer when criminals don’t know which one of us just might be armed.

I am a responsible gun owner. At home my guns are stored unloaded and locked in safes. The ammunition is stored separately.

Anyone whom calls me a gun nut probably does not own a gun. Every hunter I know owns more guns than I do. I don’t hunt. I enjoy shooting, but I find no pleasure in killing.

No comments: