My father had a gift for telling stories. I would listen for hours, mesmerized as he spun tales. My own stories seem to spring from a compulsion, or maybe just from my genes. I write for myself but, like my father, I would never turn away an audience. These stories are true, reflections of events in my life.

About Me

My photo
Husband, father, recovering person, Navy veteran, polio survivor. I have learned to stop fearing life, to enjoy it like a good novel that can tease with promise and delight with suprise.

September 1, 2004

Why Blog?

Not every blog post has to be an attempt to explore profound truths (I'm telling myself that, not you.) This blog is just a rambling discussion with myself.

I shared the secret that I blog with some friends recently. Afterward I asked myself why I had told them. Was I just looking for attention? I decided my reason was different in each case.

I told Benny because I wanted to reconnect with an old friend at a personal level. We live a thousand miles apart now and I miss the conversations we used to have over lunch when we worked together years ago. Sharing my blog seemed to be a chance to reopen a channel of communication, at least in one direction.

I told John because he is an author and I am interested in his feedback. It has been years since I took a course in composition and had a teacher to offer criticism of my writing. I would like to hear John's opinion whether it is that he finds my words to be "sloppy and self-absorbed" or "tightly woven and spell binding." John hasn't said anything yet. Maybe he is being kind.

I told my sister because we have grown so far apart over the years. I don't speak with her often and our visits are years apart. I want her to know more about who I am. Of course, she may already know me very well. She may know me better than I know myself. Still, I would like her to learn something about me from my writing.

I told my 12-Step sponsor because I want him to have an opportunity to see me from all possible angles. I don't want to hide any part of me from my sponsor. He is the one person to whom I have chosen to be completely accountable. I'm not sure I have told him I view our relationship in that way. If not then he will read it here. I'm sure he will offer feedback, soon.

But, why have I chosen to share myself with a world of strangers through this blog? My reason is a selfish one. I have learned that sharing thoughts and feelings honestly is cleansing and healing for me. I learned that fact in a group setting where we speak for five minutes to others we know only by first name. I leave the meetings in which I have shared feeling better. I feel better after sharing myself in a blog post.

Or, maybe I am doing this just because I am self-absorbed. I remember my brother once described my infequent visits as occasions in which I "show up every couple of years and talk about myself for hours." His words stung me but I sensed their truth as I heard them and I appreciated his candor, although I don't remember telling him so.

Being self-absorbed is certainly one of my character defects. I acknowledge being selfish and self-centered and I work at being less so. I have many other character defects as well.

I need to express myself. It is just part of my human nature. I don't expect always to be right or to be understood but I need to express myself. I express things in this blog that I would not in face to face converstion. That is a good thing. Many topics I write about here are more personal than those I would discuss openly with most people. Some topics would just be boring to others. By writing about them here I allow the reader to just move on without having to tell me "I really don't care to know any more about this."

I feel better just having written what I did above.

No comments: