My father had a gift for telling stories. I would listen for hours, mesmerized as he spun tales. My own stories seem to spring from a compulsion, or maybe just from my genes. I write for myself but, like my father, I would never turn away an audience. These stories are true, reflections of events in my life.

About Me

My photo
Husband, father, recovering person, Navy veteran, polio survivor. I have learned to stop fearing life, to enjoy it like a good novel that can tease with promise and delight with suprise.

August 23, 2004

The Same Only Different

I am following the contest between George W. Bush and John Kerry, but not too closely. I’ve lived long enough now to understand what George Carlin meant when he said, "Everything is the same only a little different."

Here are two men, backed by influential contributors and powerful political parties, painting themselves in the best possible light while casting their opponent in the worst. They turn each emotionally charged and controversial issue at hand into a weapon of advantage. They withhold their most serious criticism of the other out of fear that similar charges might be hurled back at themselves. Each candidate really has only one objective, to win.

This election is the same as all the others I remember, only a little different. The candidates are different. The issues are different. The tactics and the objective are the same. When it is over they still will shake hands, pledge each other their support on the "important" issues and reassume their roles as the "loyal" opposition.

I don’t pay much attention to the election process anymore. I have watched enough "reality" television to understand that all this really is just a sham. The media has helped to blur the line between our elected government and the entertainment business. Persons who seek employment in either field seem to follow the same general path. Both market their personalities to the public then, while the politician seeks votes in order to maintain an office, the entertainer seeks ratings to maintain a program series. Both require frequent exposure in the press so we won’t forget them and to stay ahead of the newcomers vying for our attention.

The strength of a candidate’s personality cannot win my vote. My vote will be determined by the manner in which I believe each candidate’s character will guide his response to the issues and threats facing the nation. I am looking for a man who is honest and decisive. He must be willing to be unpopular while taking the actions that history will prove to be the right ones. He should believe that power and fame are not a man’s greatest personal achievements.

If neither candidate meets these ideals then I must vote for the man who comes closest.

No comments: